Unlike Jay Farrow, I was completely shocked to learn that the average American household watches seven hours of television daily. I do not understand how people with jobs and/or school have time for this kind of behavior. In the part below, he mentioned television's omnipresence, and how they set cultural standards. It would be very easy to deduce that television affects America with such a dramatic statistic. I completely understand how television can, like Farrow said, "help convince people that things are normal or 'not normal'". I, too, as he later states, "never really noticed all of these things about television until this lecture." Television has become so accepted in American culture that many hardly even think twice about it.
I just accepted that color television was a reality until someone told be at one time it was not. It was not that I thought it always existed, I just had never thought about why it existed until thing. This is many times the case, especially when people are very young, when something is taken for granted. This, in a way, helps prove the omnipresence of television.
I enjoyed reading Farrow's post. If you would like to read it as well, click the like below.
http://jaytfarrow.blogspot.com/2015/10/television-response-to-lecture.html
No comments:
Post a Comment